Walmart’s drone delivery service is now available for select customers in the Tampa, Orlando, Dallas, and Phoenix areas.
This marks the first time customers in these regions can take advantage of Walmart’s drone deliveries, following the retailer’s earlier announcement of plans to expand its network with DroneUp to reach 4 million additional households across six states.
From last-minute meal solutions to a package of Christmas cookies, Bentonville, Ark.-based Walmart said it has successfully executed thousands of same-day drone deliveries to date.
“Drone delivery makes it possible for our customers to shop those last-minute or forgotten items with ease, in a package that’s frankly really cool,” said Vik Gopalakrishnan, vice president for innovation and automation at Walmart U.S. “Being on the forefront of that innovation at Walmart is something we’re proud of.”
“It may seem like a futuristic option, but it’s giving our customers what they’ve always wanted, and that’s time back to focus on what is most important to them,” he said.
Here's how it works
Customers living within a mile of a participating store can place orders through www.droneupdelivery.com between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. local time, said the company. Drones can deliver more than 10,000 eligible Walmart items weighing up to 10. lb.—including fragile items like eggs— in as little as 30 minutes.
There are no order minimums, and the delivery fee is just $3.99. Once the items are packaged and loaded into the drone, the order is then delivered using a cable that gently lowers the package into the customer’s yard.
Drone delivery now available from these stores in Florida:
- Walmart Supercenter 2695, 1450 Johns Lake Rd., Clermont, FL 34711
- Walmart Supercenter 5299, 550 U.S. Highway 27, Clermont, FL 34714
- Walmart Supercenter 994, 8745 State Road 54, New Port Richey, FL 34655
- Walmart Supercenter 941, 2140 Bloomingdale Ave., Valrico, FL 33596
- Walmart Supercenter 3347, 7450 Cypress Gardens Blvd., Winter Haven, FL 33884
- Walmart Supercenter 2740, 19910 Bruce B Downs Blvd., Tampa, FL 33647
- Walmart Supercenter 3463, 1208 E Brandon Blvd., Brandon, FL 33511
Drone delivery is now offered from these stores in Arizona:
- Walmart Supercenter 3896, 21655 N Lake Pleasant Pkwy., Peoria, AZ 85382
- Walmart Supercenter 1533, 7975 W Peoria Ave., Peoria, AZ 85345
- Walmart Supercenter 3241, 18551 N 83rd Ave., Glendale, AZ 85308
- Walmart Supercenter 1532, 5845 W Bell Rd., Glendale, AZ 85308
Drone delivery is now offered from these stores in Texas:
- Neighborhood Market 3015, 2827 S Buckner Blvd., Dallas, TX 75227
- Neighborhood Market 5021, 2275 Gus Thomasson Rd., Dallas, TX 75228
- Neighborhood Market 2975, 3959 Broadway Blvd., Garland, TX 75043
- Walmart Supercenter 3224, 555 W. Interstate 30, Garland, TX 75043
- Walmart Supercenter 1800, 1801 Marketplace Dr., Garland, TX 75041
- Walmart Supercenter 2973, 115 West Fm. 544, Murphy, TX 75094
- Neighborhood Market 5657, 3100 Custer Rd., Plano, TX 75075
- Neighborhood Market 2974, 1501 Buckingham Rd., Richardson, TX 75081
- Neighborhood Market 2976, 915 N Town East Blvd., Mesquite, TX 75150
- Walmart Supercenter 3225, 2501 Lakeview Pkwy., Rowlett, TX 75088
- Walmart Supercenter 426, 4691 State Highway 121, The Colony, TX 75056
In partnership with DroneUp, Walmart will offer drone delivery in three other states, including: Arkansas, Utah, and Virginia. In total, there will be 34 stores making drone delivery available in 23 cities nationwide by year's end, said the retailer.
“Our mission is to set the gold standard for drone delivery and by partnering with Walmart, bring the incredible benefits that drones offer to local communities, organizations, and businesses,” said Tom Walker, CEO of DroneUp. “Our approach is unique; we practice safety above all else and incorporate state-of-the-art technology. Our strong relationship with the FAA has also been critical to our success as we build an infrastructure that supports growth and great career programs for operators now and in the future.”
DroneUp deliveries are powered by a team of certified pilots operating within FAA guidelines to safely manage flight operations. Deliveries will be made to the safest location of the customer’s home, such as in the front or backyard or driveway, according to Walmart.