Berkshire Grey Inc. yesterday announced the launch of its Robotic Shuttle Put Wall, or RSPW, system for e-commerce order fulfillment. The RSPW is an automated put wall that uses artificial intelligence and can increases capacity and throughput, said the Bedford, Mass.-based company. This is more important than ever because of currently heightened customer expectations for fast and efficient fulfillment, as well as labor scarcity.
“Businesses will continue to see e-commerce orders rise as global e-commerce sales expect to approach $5 trillion by the end of 2021,” stated Kevin Prouty, an analyst at IDC. “This growth in volume, combined with labor scarcity, is putting tremendous pressure on supply chain operations to increase fulfillment throughput and support a broad selection of products.”
“Businesses have no choice but to automate,” he added. “Companies like Berkshire Grey can support their customers with robotic automation solutions that address rising consumer demands.”
Berkshire Grey said it delivers technology that combines AI and robotics to automate fulfillment, supply chain, and logistics operations. The company said its system can pick, pack, move, store, organize, and sort operations to deliver competitive advantage for enterprises serving connected consumers. Its customers include Global 100 retailers and logistics service providers.
Robotic Shuttle Put Wall features
The new Robotic Shuttle Put Wall system enables retailers to be more competitive, increase capacity, and meet escalating consumer demand despite labor shortages, claimed Berkshire Grey. It said the RSPW can do the following:
- Accommodate up to nearly 100% of typical SKU assortments, including challenging items like soft polybags and cylinders/tubes, such as those used for makeup, for a variety of industries including apparel, footwear, beauty, and general merchandise.
- Increase customer order sortation throughput by up to 300% with its high-capacity put wall.
- Integrate with existing fulfillment processes with no disruption to ongoing operations.
- Provide sort locations for up to 240 orders to be processed at the same time in a single robotic put wall, as opposed to the industry average of 80 orders for a manual put wall.
- Improve upstream batch inventory pick rates by up to 33%.
- Deliver best-in-class reliability while performing millions of picks in production.
- Support the needs of 24/7 order fulfillment.
- Provide maximum flexibility by integrating with any existing operation including robotic, conveyer, and manual-based transport approaches.
Robotic Shuttle Put Wall order collection points with apparel. Source: Berkshire Grey
Berkshire Grey offers AI, cloud-based support
“E-commerce continues to grow and surge. Our automation enables retailers to increase capacity to meet the growing demand and helps to deliver efficient revenue growth,” said Tom Wagner, founder and CEO at Berkshire Grey. “Berkshire Grey’s AI-enabled Robotic Shuttle Put Wall is built on proven technology deployed by customers today. This new platform increases order-processing speeds, optimizes the fulfillment workforce, and most importantly, gets more orders out the door more quickly.”
Berkshire Grey added that its systems serve multiple industries including same-day grocery, package handling, and retail. It said its Intelligent Enterprise Robotics (IER) supports customers' order-fulfillment needs across the entire supply chain.
The company also provides include installation, testing and commissioning, and support services using cloud-based AI systems that provide predictive maintenance, management of system operations, analytics, and integration.
Berkshire Grey said its technology is modular, flexible, and available via robotics-as-a-service (RaaS) implementation models. This allows customers to quickly adopt automationwithout upfront capital expenditures, it said.
Email Sign Up
Get news, papers, media and research delivered
Stay up-to-date with news and resources you need to do your job.
Research industry trends, compare companies and get market intelligence every week with Robotics 24/7.
Subscribe to our robotics user email newsletter and we'll keep you informed and up-to-date.