At Amazon.com Inc.'s re:MARS event this week, MassRobotics announced that the second Amazon Web Services Robotics Startup Accelerator is open for applications for its second cohort. MassRobotics and AWS said they are working to help robotics startups experiment and innovate while connecting with AWS customers.
“At AWS, we are dedicated to investing in the future of robotics and providing world-class services to help companies build, deploy, and manage robots,” stated Michael MacKenzie, general manager for the industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) and robotics at Amazon Web Services.
“We're thrilled to have had such a global and diverse cohort for our inaugural AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator,” he added. “It's clear that startups are driving robotic innovation, and we are excited to be taking part once again.”
Tom Ryden, executive director of MassRobotics, announced the call for applications during his presentation at re:MARS. The AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator delivered by MassRobotics is a four-week technical, business and mentorship accelerator opportunity open to robotics startups from around the world.
MassRobotics continues successful collaboration
MassRobotics leads the Massachusetts robotics cluster, which it claimed has the highest concentration of robotics businesses in the world, with about 400 companies, 65 resident startups, and 40 strategic partners. The Boston-based organization said it provides entrepreneurs and innovators with the workspace, resources, and contacts they need to develop, prototype, test, and commercialize their systems.
Amazon Web Services provides resources to establish a scalable infrastructure for building, testing, and managing robots. AWS and MassRobotics announced their first startup accelerator in November 2021.
The program's first cohort included startups from around the world, including Aivero, AirRow, Alias Robotics, ANT61, A&K Robotics, BotBuilt, Burro, Gardin, HUGO Green Solutions, Inovo Robotics, Kiwibot, MotivEdge, Northstar Robotics, Parrots, RobotAI, Square Robot, Star Robotics and Tertill. Five volunteer startups participated in re:MARS, running live demonstrations of their technologies.
After attending the four-week AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator, Helen Greiner, CEO of Tertill, shared the following insight from her experience.
“The AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator delivered by MassRobotics will help robotics entrepreneurs who want to raise capital, refine their business model, and become part of a select cohort with mentors within AWS to help them,” she said. “This program will become a major force in accelerating the robotics industry.”
This new round of applications will conclude with the selection of the second cohort of startups to participate in the program after last spring's successful run, which included, but was not limited to, the following speakers:
- Tom Ryden, executive director, MassRobotics
- Jenny Larios Berlin, co-founder and chief operating officer, Optimus Ride
- Rick Faulk, CEO, Locus Robotics
- Tye Brady, chief technologist, Amazon Robotics
- Peter Finn, managing director, Cowen
- Elaine Chen, director, Derby Entrepreneurship Center at Tufts University
- Veronica Pascual, CEO, ASTI Technologies Group
- Bilal Zubari, partner, Lux Capital
- Lior Susan, partner, Eclipse Ventures
- Lidiya Dervisheva, partner, Next47
- Michael Feinstein, principal business development manager, AWS
- Lars Pappe, vice president and head of the Center of Excellence for automation of operations, DP DHL
- Vijay Somandepalli, chief technology officer and CEO, American Robotics
- Ben Linville-Engler, director, Massachusetts eHealth
AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator requirements, benefits
The application period for the second AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator is open from June 23 through Aug. 1, 2022. MassRobotics will provide expertise in venture capital and startup acceleration to help drive a select cohort of robotics startups through an intensive, advanced curriculum specially designed to accelerate their growth on AWS.
Startups selected to participate will receive:
- Specialized training in AWS Robotics systems
- Mentoring from robotics experts and technical subject-matter experts in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and IIoT
- Co-marketing with AWS via blogs and case studies upon completion of proof of concept (PoC)
- Business development and investment guidance from MassRobotics
- Networking opportunities with other startups
- Introductions to the AWS Partner Network (APN)
“Reliant cloud technologies are rapidly becoming essential to the growing adoption and deployment of robotics solutions in manufacturing, logistics, healthcare, construction, and other sectors,” said Juan Necochea, manager of strategic partnerships at MassRobotics. “We are thrilled to once again execute the AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator delivered by MassRobotics to catalyze startups in their efforts to scale by using AWS technologies.”
MassRobotics said it has a successfully developed similar innovation programs with strategic partners such as Festo, General Motors, Panasonic, Analog Devices, and Mitsubishi Electric. They have provided provide strategic guidance, brought MassRobotics residents' technologies to their markets, and created practical programming and networking opportunities for residents, partners, and investors.
Interested organizations can learn more here about the AWS Robotics Startup Accelerator delivered by MassRobotics program and apply online.